Crystal meth, crystal, Ice, Glass, Tina, Christine, Yaba, Krank, Tweak
- Crystal meth can come in tablet (yaba), powder or crystals. It is usually white and might smell of urine.
- Crystal can be swallowed or rubbed into the gums, snorted, put into the anus, injected, or smoked (ice). Sometimes taken in ‘runs’ lasting several days.
- Intense rush, euphoria, exhilaration, increased energy, decreased appetite, heightened sex drive (libido), increased confidence, more sociable.
- Short-term physical effects of increased blood pressure, sweating, raised temperature, dilated pupils, dry mouth. Sometimes jaw clenching and teeth grinding (‘gurning’).
- Short-term psychological effects can include agitation, paranoia, chest pain, nausea\vomiting, anxiety.
- Withdrawal effects (“tweaking”) include restless anxiety, irritability, fatigue, dysphoria, aggression, paranoia, insomnia and strong cravings.
- Can be hard to hold down jobs, appointments, money or relationships as life becomes more chaotic.
- Long term use changes physical appearance: age quicker, ‘meth mouth’ (teeth become grey, twisted and fall out), skin lesions and ulcers from picking at ‘meth bugs’ (hallucinations of insects crawling under the skin), needle marks, chemical burns.
- Lack of food or water when on a ‘run’ leading to dehydration or malnutrition.
- Out of character violent behaviour.
- Depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts when withdrawing.
- Developing psychosis – paranoia, persecutory delusions, hallucinations, agitation, irrational hostile behaviour, repetitive stereotyped behaviour, social withdrawal.
- Deaths are caused typically by seizures, heat attacks, brain hemorrhages or strokes.Increased sex drive and decreased inhibition can lead to increased risk of contracting or passing on HIV, Hep C and other STDs or sexual assault.
- Poor verbal memory, poor problem solving, poor concentration.